Wednesday 18 March 2009

Chapter 18: My Name is James...And i'm a Mario Kart Wii Addict

- credit boooooooorbs

I think i've been building up to this post for weeks now. After all, there has been subtle little hints in posts here and there.

But it is time for the truth to come out.

I am a Mario Kart Wii addict.

That's right, an addict.

Now as you are all aware by now, I did once own a Wii for a couple of months back in 2007. But those were dark days when the Wii suffered from 'no library' syndrome, a horrible disease that affects new consoles that haven't got a back library to look upon with total glee.

So out that went and in came the XBox, life was good.

That was until last September. When I moved into a new house with a friend that owned a Wii. I thought it was all cool and not a problem until I discivered he had Mario Kart Wii.

Now I was a fan of Super Mario Kart on SNES back in the day. But other than the casual play here and there, I was by no means hooked.

So we started to casually play Mario Kart Wii in my house with my 3 housemates. What fun it was.

Here are some of my initial thoughts when playing this game at the beginning:

"This is a really fun multiplayer"

"If you shake the Wii remote, you get a boost. What a laugh"


"I keep losing, this is ridiculous. I'm never playing again"


"I won. Let's keep playing"


"What? You can play as Funky Kong?? That obscure Donkey Kong character who looks like he smokes some of the green stuff?"


So on it went. From frustration at not knowing how to play, to where i'm at today, an addict. Striving to constantly be the best. It doesn't help that I live in a house with some serious competitors and bad losers. It makes it all the more fun to win.


But things are so out of hand that Mario Kart Wii has now become a tool of gambling. We play Mario Kart for tea. 8 races, loser makes it. We've gambled the cleaning of the bathroom on a Mario Kart 32-racer (the true endurance test). Even on the washing up.

Losers had to clean toilets, buy Wispas, all kinds of crazy things.

The switching from Automatic to Manuel has become a talking point. Character/Kart combos are taken very seriously indeed.

(For the record, i'm either Funky Kong in the Dragonetti or the Peart Blooper, the ultimate combination of my Mii with the Turbo Blooper)


Here is photographic proof of my addiction:

- credit Daniel Burch

That's me on the left. Look at the determination to win.

The problem with an addiction is you don't know you're addcited till it's too late.

But now I can safely admit my problem. Although I won't stop playing Mario Kart Wii- It's too fun.

So heed my warning dear reader. Don't gamble beverages on a racing game. The antioxidants may be good for your health, but the addiction won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment