Monday 9 March 2009

Chapter 12: Is It Wrong to Look Back and Wish?

-credit -Marlith-

Once again my deepest apologies for the lack of updates over the weekend. I was away in Norfolk for a friends surprise 21st birthday party. I had little internet action therefore HNTPX (abbrieviation...yeah) was left desolate. So sorry for that.

Now I love my XBox360 (not in a weird way). It's the console for me; a casual gamer who loves to play multiplayer and single games alike, who can't afford the behemoth that is PS3. It's awesome (I did have a Wii for about a month in 2007 but it hurt my wrists).

But ever since the Sega Mega Drive entered my house 2 weeks ago, i've been looking back and thinking of getting a new old console. Now I already own a SNES, a PS2 and an XBox360 in my gaming collection. But i've been twitching for either a Sega Dreamcast or a Nintendo 64.

Now i'm more inclined to go N64 as after my SNES, my gaming allegiance switched to Sony and then Microsoft. So I missed out on the delights of Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64 and the Legend of Zelda games amongst others.

I can get one of these consoles relatively cheap on the old Ebay, but i've been thinking, is it wrong?

I mean we are supposed to be in this great era of gaming, with the Wii, XBox360 and PS3 all offering their different takes on gaming. But more than ever, people seem to be looking back and buying older generation consoles.

Is it a case of nostalgia? Wanting something you enjoyed so much when you were younger? Or is it deeper than that, and really gamers just enjoy the simplicity and fun of previous generation games like
Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario Brothers?

Are Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft catering to what the modern gamer wants? Or just delivering what they think noughties gamers expect with technology now?

It's quite a deep argument for this blog, i'll grant you that. So lets take break, have a snack and come back at a later date. For now, I shall continue to ponder this conundrum along with the meaning of life (to complete Super Mario Brother 3 perhaps?).

For more reading on the seventh generation console wars, I send ze to Zero Punctuation from 2007. Laugh, enjoy, return, comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment