Thursday 26 February 2009

Chapter VI: Street Fighter IV Review


So along with my achievements update every Friday (i'm dreading this week), Thursday's are looking to be a staple day for me to do a game review. I don't know how long this will last, after all I don't buy new games every week (maybe retrospective reviews?) But dammit, I will do my very best.

So this week's review is Street Fighter IV. It is the first numbered Street Fighter game released by Capcom for the arcades since 1999. As a background for the game, not much is really needed. It's Street Fighter. The ultimate fighting game. The series that really paved the way.

The game has been in my house for around two weeks and my first impression was that it is easy to get into, hard to master. Some people have complained that the game was not designed for noobs. I disagree. If you've never played it before, it's easy to choose Ryu, learn the basic kicks, punches and hadoukens and have fun. However, mastering the super and ultra combos is a different story.

They are hard, really hard. As I write this, I've never performed an ultra combo. I've tried but the controls are a ball ache. The XBox stick is not a good device to pull off moves. You have to be so precise with them, and obviously in arcade mode you don't have time to faff about. That's the main problem though in a very good game. If you're naturally good at games and fighting in particular, this is probably not a problem.

The graphics of the game are beautiful. The cartoon-like drawings of the characters look immense. It's stylish and really draws you in. The backgrounds react to elements of the battle, crates drop, water ripples and it's lovely to watch.

As for the characters, the usual gang are all there. There are new ones added, a fat ninja dude, a little girl, Bruce Lee. Most you have to unlock though.

Story-wise, there is very little. But why would you want that? You just want to hurt people. Although the back-stories given are done in beautiful anime style.

The modes are alright, I haven't been online yet in fear of being reduced to tears but i've heard positive things. Little amount of glitches, although expect to face Sagat as he is the character of choice i've heard.

Overall, I love this game. Sure i'm terrible at it but that's because it's me. This is the ultimate fighting game. Everyone should pick up a copy. Will Tekken 6 compete when it is released? Who knows. For it's genre this is a 10/10, generally, and only because of controls, it gets a 9.

Rating: 9/10

Gamerpoints achieved so far: 20/1000 (Pathetic)

No comments:

Post a Comment